As the world revives from the COVID-19 pandemic, new supply chain issues are presenting consumers and brands alike with shifting challenges. Consumers who are used to getting the products they want in a timely manner now have to contend with all sorts of shortages and delays that make the path to purchase difficult, whether they’re looking to buy consumer packaged goods or a new car. Marketers are wasting money advertising for a product that isn’t available and missing their campaign goals completely. In the long run, these negative experiences can lower a customer’s brand loyalty.
But the current supply chain problems can also offer a perfect opportunity for you to use real-time data and technology to drive growth and improve the relevancy of your advertising. Specifically, a combination of dynamic creative optimization (DCO) and programmatic advertising can allow you to quickly modify your strategy by utilizing online and offline data signals to dynamically optimize campaigns and creative messaging.
Programmatic uses data to help you determine the right person, the right place, and the right time for an ad. DCO can personalize the creative message by swiftly assembling multiple iterations of an ad based on audience, context, browsing data, ad engagement, or historical performance. Uniting DCO with programmatic is the most sophisticated method for leveraging real-time online and offline data, such as API inventory feeds and product catalog data, to enable dynamic ads that adapt based on the current product supply. It’s a potential win for advertisers and consumers alike.
For advertisers, this solution can offer flexibility. They can use real-time inventory data and personalized creative to promote currently available products to the right audience. For consumers, this solution can deliver a personalized ad experience that offers them more value and relevance, while aiming to ensure a positive buying experience.
If this sounds too conceptual, we’ve developed some use cases and strategies for specific verticals.
Auto advertisers may consider:
- Leveraging API inventory feeds to match current dealership inventory to relevant consumers looking for that car model.
- Using geo-based signals to show price changes or to rotate between different environment backdrops, such as urban and rural landscapes.
- Highlighting various car features dynamically, based on factors like weather conditions or interests gathered from audience behavioral data.
Retail advertisers may consider:
- Targeting customers based on their locations to show relevant offers and direct them to the closest store.
- Retargeting consumers to drive a purchase based on historical customer behavioral data from a retailer’s website.
- Implementing a product feed that shows different inventory based on interest and availability.
- Using DCO and retail data to optimize holiday creative in your campaigns.
As one of the top programmatic demand-side platforms (DSPs) on the open internet, we at The Trade Desk offer a robust DCO marketplace with unique and differentiated capabilities. You can use our integrations with top DCO providers like Clinch, Flashtalking, Innovid, and Jivox to maximize the impact of the creative message, then employ the power of programmatic advertising to connect the creative to data — all with the goal of better decisioning. Our clients who use the DCO marketplace also have the added benefit of avoiding potential issues related to cookie deprecation by automatically integrating with Unified ID 2.0 (UID2), the interoperable identity solution that we offer. To learn more, you can read The Current’s recap of a recent Ad Age webinar that we participated in.
Recommendations for DCO activation
- Consider automatically pushing creatives to our platform through API connections with third-party ad servers via our Creative Connector tool. This can allow creative variation to scale while reducing the errors that come with manual uploads.
- For smarter decisioning on first- and third-party data, consider using our proprietary Dynamic Creative Rules offering to pass audience identifiers to third-party DCO ad servers. Backed by UID2, DCO partners can now serve the most relevant creative based on the user’s targetable attributes rather than third-party cookies.
These solutions work together to deliver tailored messages to audiences based on various factors, including product availability. Serving the right ad to the right person, at the right time, and delivering results.
Want to read about DCO in action? Discover how Marriott International and their agency, Digitas, used DCO to increase hotel bookings. Or, to find out how DCO can work for you, reach out to your account team at The Trade Desk.
Stay ahead with our product news, trends, best practices, and more.