Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
Global advertising is undergoing a rapid and monumental transition to the modern age. Hundreds of billions of dollars are moving away from handshakes and backroom deals and onto open, transparent exchanges. As a leader in this transition, The Trade Desk is bringing a level of sophistication to advertising that has only been seen in financial markets.
We have built a best-in-class platform-as-a-service that processes over 8 million transactions per second – that’s over 100X more volume than all web search queries and tweets combined. This transactional volume has generated a rich and massive enterprise data set, and helping our internal teams understand and leverage the insights it contains is key to business success.
We are looking for BI engineers with grit – individuals with a passion for enterprise data and a keen sense for how to extract insight from it. We run our team very fast and very lean, which means every member has a high degree of ownership and potential impact – and we are looking for candidates with the chops to solve handle large scale, mission critical BI projects.
Recently named one of the top 20 Best Places to Work in the US by Glassdoor (based on employee reviews) and one of the top 15 Best Workplaces in the nation by Fortune Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
As member of The Trade Desk’s Business Engineering Team, you will work extensively with team members across all functional areas to understand data and reporting needs, maintain the integrity of company data and put checks in place to ensure accuracy, and develop the foundational layer for all corporate reporting in the form of an enterprise data warehouse (EDW). You will be the key owner/driver of the EDW as we build this corporate data repository with the strategic goal of helping Senior Management team identify key growth opportunities.
The BI Engineer role reports to the local Engineering lead and will own BI service delivery and special projects from start to completion, including:
- Define, design and implement business intelligence (BI) processes and services to enable analysis of corporate data to support strategic initiatives
- Design, implement and maintain the enterprise data warehouse (EDW), including creation, implementation, and support of the data loading (ETL) and publishing processes to the DW/BI environment.
- Lead MDM efforts to create, implement and standardize “single source of truth” of corporate data sets across application and the EDW.
- Work closely with the Engineering team and TTD stakeholders to guide requirements gathering, conduct analysis and prepare specifications.
- Contribute to Global BI Team process improvement initiatives and projects.
- Contribute to the assessment of the current state of existing data, enhancements that can be made, and future data points that could provide value to the company.
- Contribute to the company’s Knowledge Base by the creation of new articles and updating existing ones.
- Assist with screening and hiring permanent support team members for the Global BI Team.
- Participate training on support-related tools and processes.
- Light on-call/after-hours support
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience working in an analytics environment
- Bachelor's degree or higher from a four-year college or university; quantitatively focused majors preferred (Computer Science, Information Systems, etc.)
- Deep, hands-on expertise with relational databases, data warehouse, and ETL tools/methodologies/practices
- The ability to design and implement multi-dimensional models, including the construction of Data Views, Dimensions, and Cubes (SQL Server OLAP preferred)
- Proven experience and ability to develop and performance tune complex SQL queries and reports
- Experience in a customer / client facing role (working directly with business stakeholders)
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Experience with iPaaS solutions like Dell Boomi or Informatica perferred
- Experience with SQL Server, Vertica, and Hadoop perferred
We also hope you'll take some time to learn more about The Trade Desk and what it's like to work here. Here are a few links to help get you started:
- Learn more about our mission to transform the global advertising industry
- See what it's like to be an engineer on one of the world's most highly scaled Internet applications
- Experience a taste of our global culture
- Get to know a few members of our team
- Read the Glassdoor reviews that got us named one of the top 20 best places to work in North America
NOTE: Do your best to apply to the one role and location you believe best fits your skills, needs, and interests. There's no need to apply to more than one – if you're qualified, we'll find the right role and location for you.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without a contract in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.