The Trade Desk – US Controller
WHO WE ARE:
The Trade Desk is leading the way to the future of marketing by changing how advertising is bought and sold. Working with the largest brands and agencies around the world, our technology platform helps consumers discover products they want by enabling advertisers to target and reach them on the right channels at the right time.
Employees join The Trade Desk to discover opportunity, contribute to our customers’ success, and be part of building the future of marketing. You’ll work with creative, compassionate, and collaborative colleagues that share a passion for making the internet better for all – a combination that simply can't be beat.
When you join The Trade Desk, you’re joining a family. We have open space work environments, adjustable sitting/standing desks, and a celebrated open-door policy (at all levels) that can inspire out-of-the-box solutions and camaraderie among your coworkers. The competitive compensation packages, full benefits, stock options, and additional discounted stock purchase opportunities, catered lunches, and offsite team building activities may cause slight to severe jealousy among your peers.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the US Controller will be a key member of the Finance leadership team and will be responsible for The Trade Desk (“TTD”) USA accounting functions. The US Controller will lead an accounting department of 20+ professionals. The US Controller will direct and oversee the TTD USA accounting operations including accounts payable, credit & collections and payroll as well as direct and oversee the TTD USA general ledger accounting team. The US Controller will be responsible for evaluating, establishing and maintaining key controls and SOX narratives associated with the TTD USA accounting function. The US Controller will also be responsible for developing a high-performing team that will scale to The Trade Desk’s growing needs. The US Controller will work collaboratively with finance leadership as well as cross-functionally with business stakeholders throughout the company.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Direct The Trade Desk USA accounting activities, which includes all accounting operations activities related to TTD USA general ledger accounting, accounts payable, credit and collections and payroll. Plan, control and direct TTD USA accounting activities in accordance with US GAAP, SEC regulations, Sarbanes-Oxley 404, statutory guidelines and internal financial policies and procedures
- Direct and oversee certain corporate cash management functions, the month end close for TTD USA, in conjunction with the corporate close
- Assess processes and design improved processes that are not just best practices “by the book” but also “best fit” for the company. Implement these practices for payroll, accounts payable, credit & collections and GL accounting. Work with counterparts in other geographical regions to develop TTD global standard methodologies.
- Work with other finance leaders to establish strategic objectives and lead or otherwise assist in executing against those objectives
- Coordinate with internal and external technical accounting resources to develop and conclude on accounting positions and then implement and maintain the resulting policies and procedures to ensure consistent application of the resulting technical accounting conclusions
- Plan and coordinate the external audit processes, including managing the relationships with the external auditors
- Partner with the finance department reporting team to research, interpret, document and implement accounting guidance associated with various accounting issues
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 7+ years of experience including both public accounting and industry experience. Public accounting experience should include Big 4 public accounting experience or public accounting experience that includes auditing public technology companies
- Industry experience includes oversight of general ledger accounting and at least one other operational area – such as accounts payable, payroll or credit & collections. Historical experience of designing and implementing operational improvements in one of these areas.
- Historical experience with improving days to close
- Experience with SOX, including working knowledge of the documentation and activities related to IPE
- Success in leading a team – proven ability to provide direct feedback and make tough calls, including staffing recommendations
- History of success in running projects to completion. Must demonstrate the ability to solve any problem presented to the TTD USA organization – including identifying and accurately assessing the problem or issue, communicate the problem or issue to upper management, develop a plan to execute the planned solution, determine the right resources that will be needed to execute the project, communicate with all relevant project participants about their role on the project and how they will contribute to the expected outcome, monitor the status and results of the project and make adjustments to the plan as necessary and, overall, be a good leader and mentor for personnel involved in these projects
- Excellent at assessing resource requirements and developing a plan to close the identified gaps in resourcing
- Experience balancing the need for proper internal controls over financial reporting (SOX) that can be audited with operational efficiencies
- Experience with being audited by a Big 4 accounting firm
- Outstanding leadership skills – ability to make good decisions, organize and prioritize, inspire and motivate others, create an environment of accountability, while also being able to effectively delegate tasks/responsibilities and empower employees. Must have a proven track record of developing employees – getting them ready to take on their next role. Excellent communication skills – including written and verbal communications, interpersonal, analytical, negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Ability to juggle multiple high priorities and aspire to learn from others and incorporate that knowledge into the plan to creating and maintaining the “right-fit” controllership environment
- Historical success in implementing systems and leading projects that interface with an ERP system
The Trade Desk will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance No. 184652
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.